Started the day with the best crumb cake ever on Deadwood's main street. Moist!

And the ladies who ran the coffee shop were hilarious, sweetly bicker-y with each other and authentically sassy. Great people.
Then onto Mount Rushmore, located about an hour south of Deadwood. It's near a tiny town called Keystone, which boasts the best business names for its hotels and eateries: The White House, The Executive Committee and so forth. I mean, if your town was home to Mount Rushmore, wouldn't you go for it? I would. I think "Supreme Food Court" might be my pick. Just dreamin'.
A soda machine in the women's bathroom at Mount Rushmore. In case you can't leave the bathroom to look at the actual mountain, see it by the stalls:

And the sculpture itself. Like I told Chris several times, it is really hard to stop looking at it once you start. I just couldn't believe something of that magnitude was carved into the side of a mountain. The dynamite, the man power, the grandeur. Note to Dad: I did not see Cary Grant hanging from Lincoln's eyelid.
The thrill of the day is we got to meet a man who had been one of the drillers on this massive project. He's 87 and one of the last living workers to have helped create Mount Rushmore.
A fantastic morning.

No comments:
Post a Comment