Good thing we pulled over in Norfolk for the night. Mitchell, South Dakota, home to The World's Only Corn Palace, was still another three hours away. I would have turned into a banshee and Chris would have howled at that harvest moon had we pushed to make it the night before. Phew.
The fabled Corn Palace in Mitchell was the inspiration for this trip. I'd long heard of an old, onion-domed building covered in whimsical murals fashioned out of corn cobs, and I knew I must go there. We've spoken about making the pilgrimage for years, and today was that day. I almost couldn't take the excitement.

Corn close-up:

The kernel of truth? The Corn Palace is a wonder of both art and nature. It's what happens when man and corn work together in harmony. It's an architectural marvel you just want to pour melted butter over and bite.
Not to mention the main street carnival was positively Capra-esque. The bison burger Chris ordered at the nearby Depot Pub and Grill was gamy and good (and, as you can see below, was watched over by possibly the same bison from the restaurant wall). And the sarsaparilla we drank in front of the Palace was icy and spicy, and caramel corn-on-the-cob, tooth-sticky and sweet. A dream realized.

1 comment:
"It's what happens when man and corn work together in harmony." Beautiful.
Post a Comment